Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The High Price of Having a Voice

Well loyal followers, I am back. After an unintended 3-week-respite, I am picking up where I left off in my recessionary tale.

So, where was I? Was in hiding for happy reasons, like Conan O'Brien, counting my millions until it was safe to resurface? Was I hiding out licking my wounds like Tiger Woods, waiting to make my big return? Or was I lost, tangled up in the swamp brush, surrounded by hungry alligators, like that poor Autistic girl they found trapped in the woods in Florida this week....(what a miracle that they found her.)

No, no, no. Nothing that dramatic. The first week was spring break. The second week, the "babies" got sick and then so did I. That's when things really took a tumble. And just when I thought I would have time to blog, POOF - I get two huge newspaper article assignments! I could tell you about the spring break adventures or how we avoided going to the doctor for too long when we all got sick...but instead I want to talk about my assignment at the newspaper. For it is a recessionary tale in and of itself.

Even though my Gainesville Middle School piece is done but not published yet, I am still submitting article ideas. So my editor accepted my two latest article ideas: a George Mason University nursing student (and friend) who rescued a lost toddler from Manassas traffic and a profile about the "reverse date night" (movie and then dinner, to save money on the new higher movie costs).

Then, last Thursday my editor surprised me. She assigned me to a medical article--my first real assignment from her! Due of course - this past Monday.

The Haymarket Medical Center closed down unexpectedly in April, here in Gainesville, leaving 5 doctors and 26 other staff suddenly unemployed. No one could get the doctors from the practice to talk to the press. My editor asked me to do it.

So, I spent all of the end of last week and this past weekend trying to reach these people. I googled the doctor's numbers, tried to reach them at home. I Facebooked former staff. I relentlessly bothered the PR person at Prince William Hospital, trying to get her to have the practice staff call me. I interviewed a former patient. I got online and searched the bankruptcies for the entire country, to see if the owner had filed. I even contemplated sending a telegram to the home address of a doc that left the practice earlier this year to take a job in another state, to beg her to give me some quotes. (Too expensive).

Why was I soooo determined to speak to these people? Was it because it was my job? Was it because I was curious? Was it because I was going to get paid a large sum of money?

Ha ha. No. The irony is I am going to paid $100 bucks for the article. That is lower than any tech writing assignment I've ever had. But even more money would be nice right now, that wasn't what was motivating me.

I was restless all weekend thinking about the thousands of former patients. They must have struggles like me and my kids...some jobless, others trying to support families on one income; many living with health conditions or illness; and all of them crushed that their doctor who had seen them through thick and thin over the years was just not there for them anymore.

Why? They wanted to know why. I felt like they needed a voice, my voice. I had to find answers for them, and give them some closure now that their relationship with this kind compassionate family practice was over.

And thinking of those people is what made me, despite my illness, not give up on this story all weekend.

And finally, Monday morning, they spoke to me. The former practice manager called me! Then, one of the former doctors on staff called and spoke to me for one hour! I felt overjoyed! My one article quickly turned into two: a long news article and a Q&A sidebar.

The recession had hit the practice hard. People weren't going to their office as much--to save the cost of co-pays, deductibles, COBRA payments. They had less money coming in. The owner was not a business man and he didn't have the heart to charge his patients if they cancelled an appointment, or send them to collections for non-payment. He was not able to survive these tough recessionary times. Other practices like his are sure to follow.

Take my GP. I finally went to the doctor this week. I had put it off because I was so busy after Easter fighting illness and then doing my articles. When I finally went in yesterday, I had a 101 fever! Bronchitis. And what did I find out?

My doctor is leaving at the end of the month, and some nurses too. Their practice isn't getting enough business--they are forcing her to find a new job. I am crushed! I love her. The worst part is, her husband's business isn't doing well. They are professionals. They have two kids. But now, they feel the fear of worrying about how to provide for their family.

The recession doesn't discriminate. So many are being affected. People need to read about these stories to be informed. To understand. And to know they are not alone.

So, even though I worked hard for little money, the return is very great. This Thursday my articles come out. Thousands of local patients will read details that the other papers couldn't uncover.

Was I underpaid?

Maybe.

But that is the high price of having a voice. And it is one high price I feel good about paying.

Until we meet again. My recessionary tale will continue tomorrow. (I promise.)

No comments:

Post a Comment