Thursday, April 29, 2010

The 411 on 7-11

What's up blog followers?

I am behind on my new blogging schedule. I "skipped" Friday and Monday, due to newspaper deadlines.

But I'm back. And I want to give you the "411" on 7-11. For those of you who don't know what that phrase means, I consulted the Urban Dictionary. According to them, "411" is another term used for "information". Here is an example: "Ok Kim Possible, I need the 411 on what information you have discovered on your secret mission so I can analyze it on my supercomputer to help find out who is behind the crime."

Okay so here is the 411...

My sister came to town this past weekend, along with my four nieces, my nephew, and my nephew's girlfriend. They wanted to go see the National Zoo. My sister was excited to show her youngest son, age 3, the animals for FREE.

Me, being a savvy money-conscious person, knew better. Free, eh? NOT!

The entrance to the zoo is free. But that is where it ends. They get you in and BAM, you want a map. $2 for a map? Really? Are you kidding me.

We said no thanks, and just kept walking. So the zoo is hilly, and the three adults were hoofing it, pushing "the babies" in the double stroller and my youngest nephew in a single stroller. Plus we had 6 other kids ages 8to 18. And it was hot out my friends.

In less than 10 minutes, the animals weren't the only hungry ones in the zoo. Our kids were hungry and thirsty.

Luckily, I had packed snacks for the babies: a water bottle, a box of fruit snacks, rice crispy treats, and a bag of cheez-its. I pulled out this stash feeling like a well prepared Mom, when the vultures descended.

My nieces wanted rice crispy treats and fruit snacks. My daughter wanted crackers. My eldest son, who never drinks water - ever - downed my water bottle. The "babies" were lucky to split a pack of fruit snacks and have a few crackers. Poof! All of my food was gone.

So, after saying "Hi" to a zebra, seeing a wolf, and watching a cheetah pace, the kids were all starving. So, we headed to the zoo cafe. This is where they try to "get you" and make up for the fact that you visited the zoo for "free." The cafe wanted $10 for a kids meal! A hot dog, fries, a drink and apple sauce - that probably cost them $3.00 to prepare. If you add that up for my family, it would have cost us $60 bucks for the 6 of us! My sister would have dropped the same amount.

"Let's head back to 7-11," suggested my wise husband. "It's across the entrance from the zoo."

Despite the groans from the hungry and tired kids, we all headed to the welcoming beacon that is 7-11.

Ahh...there we were met with so many good deals. I went healthy and bought a wrap and some yogurt. The "babies" got yogurt, grapes, cookies, and cereal bars. My husband got a BIG GULP, some tasty chicken fingers, potato wedges, chips, and tacquitos (2 for $2.22!) My gluten-free son got a hot dog (no bun), pepperoni, a soda, and some chips, while my eldest daughter found her favorite Italian sub, a soda, and some chips. All this came to less than $30 bucks! We saved half the money we would have spent in the zoo! Plus, we had leftover snacks to use the rest of the day.

7-11 has come a long way. Their sandwiches are actually fresh and good. I had some kind of chicken and cheese wrap. It felt better than fast food, and it hit the spot. If you find yourself out and about and want something to eat but don't want fast food, 7-11 is worth considering. They certainly saved the day--and 30 dollars-- for our family.

Until we meet again. My recessionary tale will continue Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment